This is a game about harsh mistreatment of a man chasing his dream.
What “Beholden” is:
- A diceless solo RPG.
- An entry in the April 2011 Ronnies, using the terms “chains” and “queen”.
- A (_____) of Ben Lehman’s game “Beloved”. Choose your preferred term from the list: recontextualization; inversion; retelling; pastiche; critique. The draft of Beloved that Beholden is based on can be found here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forge/index.php?topic1271.0
- A direct response to Beloved, and a dialogue starter.
What it is not:
- Original. I wrote it, but it would not exist without Ben’s game.
- An “expansion” or “mod”. Beholden is fully self-contained.
- A challenge to the value of the source game.